If you own a South Lake Tahoe vacation rental, you probably want to create a safe environment for your guests just as much as you want to protect your investment. In order to create a profitable vacation rental in South Lake Tahoe, there are a lot of steps to take to make sure your home is secure whether it is vacant or occupied. Here at Lake Tahoe Getaways, we have been successfully managing and booking vacation rentals and can provide some great tips from our experience in the industry. Check out these great ways to keep your home safe! You should also check out these Custom Screens and Security Products.
Make it look like your vacation rental in South Lake Tahoe is occupied. Even if it isn’t.
If your home appears to either have guests or someone living in it, you have a better chance of keeping unwanted visitors out of your property. This is important for a couple reasons, especially if you do not live nearby. Although this is still a good idea if you do live close by. As making the property look lived in prevents theft and squatters. Can you imagine booking guests only to have them to arrive and find your home in disarray? You can make your home look occupied by doing some of these tasks.
- Keep the yard manicured. If applicable, keep the lawn mowed, remove pine needles, organize for snow removal so sidewalks and driveways are cleared and be sure to keep the mailbox from filling up. Letting any of this go is a big indicator that not only is no one home, but they haven’t been for a while.
- Ask a couple neighbors you trust to keep an eye on your vacation rental in South Lake Tahoe. They can alert you to any suspicious activity. Also consider an outdoor camera as an extra measure.
- Install a timer on the lights so that your home isn’t completely dark at night. Although consider choosing random times if possible. A motion sensor is another great idea as people tend to be deterred by anything that can put them in the spotlight.
- Keep your home locked. According to the statistics on https://www.locksmithman.ca/, a lot of South Lake Tahoe vacation rentals use smart locks or other automated check in system as it creates easy access for guests to check in to the property without having to meet someone to get a key. Especially if they have a late arrival. Regardless of the access method you use, make sure you pick a good one. And whatever you do, don’t leave keys under rocks, mats, above doorways or other similar methods. You may as well leave your door unlocked. Also, before you leave the home, be sure to double check that doors and windows are still locked. Also look into an alarm system. This allows you to sleep easy knowing you will be alerted of any break ins, but it also allows your guests to feel secure.
Make smart advertising choices
- Don’t advertise that your Lake Tahoe vacation rental is empty. You are basically inviting a disaster to happen. Pick a verified listing website or create your own website for people to view the property and inquire about bookings.
- Use professional photography by don’t give away too much. If you do an exterior shot, keep it minimal and don’t advertise the house number AND street number. Potential guests will get the address prior to check in, but they don’t necessarily need it before booking.
- Before giving out a lot of property information, chat with the potential guests and get as much info from them as you can. Definitely do not give out directions until a booking has been confirmed and payment has been collected.
Keep Your Guests Safe
As you continue to book your vacation rental in Lake Tahoe, you will likely get questions about how guests can rest assured that they, and their valuables, will be safe in your home.
- Whether you personally check them in or leave a detailed manual, you will want to give them the information on how to use the security system and or door code, whichever is applicable. Also remind them to lock all doors and windows. Explain that humans aren’t the only prowlers and that bears and other wildlife can and will get in if you leave access.
- Consider leaving a safe for guests to use.
- Leave a point of contact for emergencies including numbers and locations for local authorities, hospitals and who to contact in case of a maintenance issue.
It is important to remember that folks booking a Lake Tahoe vacation rental are looking for a relaxing home away from home experience. In order to keep people coming back, you will need to oversee all aspects of managing your home regardless of how far away you are. If you are looking for a company that manages all of these aspects for your South Lake Tahoe vacation rental, give us a call. We handle all advertising, maintenance, cleaners, snow removal, 24/7 emergencies, collecting payment and much more.